Monday, April 30, 2012

Vietnamese Opera and An Oversea's Confidence


I left on that day. Feeling sad like never before. Moon over sea- cold and lonely. But not as cold and sad as the soul of a young man who had just left his homeland for the first time.


The island on which I had been living temporarily for a while - beautiful and dreamy. Just like the place for loving couples. But for me it was so cold and soulless. Every late afternoon, I went out there sitting in front of the sea by myself, looking back upon the far away horizon. The sound caused by the sea waves clapping against the beach provoked in me fond remembrance. A deep longing. Being tormented by a deep longing of a homeland just left behind. And a deep longing. Being tormented by a deep longing of a singing voice now so far away. That singing voice - sometimes it is immeasurably pitched like the sound of kite flying in the windy afternoons back in homeland, sometimes it is sadly low like the sound of a warrior's wife 's heart tiredly awaiting her husband. In that old days, listening to that singing voice, I saw in front of my eyes the bamboo bridges tortuous and bumpy, I saw vaguely around me the figure of virtuous mothers well contriving all year round for the whole life. That singing voice is unendingly versatile - sometimes it is loud ,dignified and majestic, sometimes it is harmonious and plaintive. " There is only one such a singing voice, not a second. That singing voice belongs to her only." (Kim Van Kieu)

The country that I came to live and accepted as a second homeland- civilized and modern, the country of opportunities. Joining that society, I had been living hurriedly and busily like having no tomorrow. There were many, many weeks without weekends because I had to work all seven days. There were many days without nights due to my all night studying. And then I gradually got used to , gradually felt love this country. Gradually "felt in love" with the exciting Rock, melodious Blue rhythms, especially American Country music. However, deep down in my heart, I knew that I still loved that singing voice, still loved the "old days' sound" without any change "like a son who could not say good-bye forever with rice kitchen-garden, potato garden where there was a countryside mother whose eyes did not ever have a chance to see a festival." (Trinh Cong Son)

In those old days, a majority of my friends were scared of having something to do with Vietnamese Opera, since they were afraid of being labeled as "rustic", since they wanted to be "luxurious and elegant". Despite all that, I have been tirelessly volunteering to be "a rustic" and denying to be " a luxurious and elegant". The simple reason is that I am not able to turn my back on that singing voice, on that sounds- the sounds that made people's minds fretty, people's eyes stung after hearing them. However it is especially marvelous: tragic but not troubled, loving but still magnanimous. It makes people cry together, and then feel more sympathetic with each other, feel love each other more and feel united with each other more. Speaking generally, it is the sound of heart, a quintessence of a whole country. With just myself, it is a memory of a loving childhood when Vietnamese Opera was "velvet", was "embroidered silk", was festival days which excited people's hearts.

Many yeas, many months have passed. These days, Vietnamese Opera is not like what it was before. "Luu is not Luu of those old days any more" (Life of Miss Luu). Like an eternal law. There was a little bit of "damage" in that golden singing voice. There was a little bit of "fading" in that elegant and graceful stature. But despite the time, that singing voice is still full of living power, still immeasurably pitched, recalling the kites in the windy homeland sky, still calmly curling like the homeland rivers curving bringing alluvium to the immense rice-field. The singing voice is way like a kind of bird: flying with zeal into the thorny bushes in order for the thorns to thrust its throat, so it would sing out the last best singing sound of its life for people (Thorn Birds). I believe that singing voice keeps singing not for life-ending haloes. Moreover, fame is high enough, position is high enough. How come there is such a halo which vehemently attracts people at the last period of their lives? Thinking so, I am respectfully thankful, deeply appreciate no matter from what "source" that singing voice comes out.

Art is of noble and high-flying creation, of limitless romance. Therefore, don't expect the artists to follow any tastes. Don't confine them to the subjective, extreme and narrow-minded thinking of yourselves either. Art is of beauty. But beauty is inherently fragile. The artists' soul is as fragile as beauty. Hence, if you don't love them, just gently hit them with the petals of roses. In addition to that, "right" or "wrong" are just subjective, relative, time-sensitive concepts. What we praise is not definitely right. What we don't understand or haven't understood yet is not definitely wrong.

Some day in the future, when I feel tired with my life-long journey, I would come back my old village to pay a visit to the old days' paths and district streets. It would be very sad If there would be that singing voice any longer. In the utmost regret and remembrance, I would point at the old picture of hers and tell my son: "In the old times, I liked her singing voice very much. Because every time I was listening to her singing, I felt miss....my homeland."

02/13/2010
Jeffrey Thai

No comments:

Post a Comment